Have you ever heard rumors about a town under Loch Raven Reservoir?
Well, they are true! Warren Village, a mill town, grew up along Gunpowder Falls, as the river was known locally, during the 19th century.
The first efforts to establish a cloth mill in the broad valley, just north of today's Warren Road bridge, took place in 1814, when John Merryman leased acreage along Gunpowder Falls to a partnership headed by James A. Buchanan and including General Samuel Smith, Hezekiah Price, and other veterans of the War of 1812. A dam was built across Gunpowder Falls to divert a millrace, and a cloth mill with water works was erected. Over time fires, floods, strikes, and changes in ownership would affect the success of the Mill and surrounding community, until the City of Baltimore wrote the final chapter to Warren Village's history. Join us to hear the whole story.
Thanks to our sponsors for helping make this lecture possible!
Liz and Bill Dausch
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR PARTNERS!